Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sports Event = crutches

Yesterday was tryouts for girls track at Brown. Brynna has been interested in running and wanted to see if she could make the team. With tryouts at 4:45, I had gotten my car back from the shop and was able to pick everyone up, get them where they needed to be and Brynna down to the Coronado track in time for try outs.

I parked the car and we walked down the 10 steps to the field. As I stepped off the last one I inverted my left foot and heard a loud snap, I had to sit down. I had Brynna go over to the gaggle of girls getting ready. I sat on the steps for about 10 minutes when one of the coaches asked me if I was ok. Reluctantly I told him "no". They sent one of the trainers over to check me out. (What a scene!) The trainer looked at my ankle and got a bag of ice. She thought that I might have torn my tendon and fractured a little bone (I don't know the name) in my ankle. I couldn't believe it, I was just walking down the steps to watch Brynna tryout and now I was being told that might have broken a bone - unbelievable.

I called Mike to tell him what had happened and make sure that he was on his way home. I then called my friend Susan to come and pick me up to take me to the hospital (I considered an ambulance because I kept feeling so nauseous that I thought I might pass out.) We decided that the best plan would be for Mike to come over to the track and wait for Brynna and Susan would take me to Beaumont.



The trainer put a boot on my foot, gave me some crutches and drove my car down to the field. I was able to hobble my way to my car, drive home and waited for Susan. She had called her husband at Beaumont and he was waiting for us. I was taken to the ER and had x-rays and exam. They don't think I broke anything but they think I snapped the tendon. So I am on crutches in my two story home (UGGHHH!) and my foot is in an air cast for the next few days. We still have to hear from Ortho and see the radiologist says but all I have to say is "man this hurts". I have taken a tip from our friend Katelyn and have been using my hands and knees to get up and down the stairs.

Today is Lauren's birthday so we are going to have to be creative. I am thinking I might just live in my car for a few days! :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger The Marchiondo Family said...

That is awful!!!! It's amazing how many people over here are on crutches (just like Kates). They don't use the ones like in the states. You might want to consider using those instead. I think you can buy them at Walgreens. Hang in there. I hope the pain goes away!

March 25, 2009 at 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home