Monday, September 28, 2009

Did I blink? I didn't think I blinked!

Oh, how time flies!  I feel like I keep looking back and reminiscing over old times and then look forward to the women my girls are starting to become and wonder what their lives will be like someday but don't always take the time to deal with the here and now.  It is such a balance and such an amazing bittersweet adventure.

Over the weekend we pulled out the home movies.  (Meagan asked if I needed a "Meagan fix" while she was gone. :-)  The videos are not labeled, so we started with the first one in the box.  There were many to choose from and most are from when Meagan and Brynna were little.  There are other tapes from when Lauren was little but I don't have an adapter to watch those in the VCR.  Lauren was a little disappointed but seemed to enjoy watching her sisters when they were little. 

Two videos that I found amazing were about Meagan when she was only 14 months and the other when Meagan and Brynna were 4 and 2 and we had recently moved to San Antonio.  I wish that I had video taped more regularly but I am grateful the for the tapes I have - they are my prized possessions. 

In the video that Meagan is 14 months it shows an amazing child.  I know that she is my daughter and I am a little biased but this was truly amazing to me.  Even Brynna couldn't believe how much Meagan was able to say and do at 14 months.  The gift that she was given was truly visible in these videos however I am not sure we saw it back then.  In one segment Mike is taking nesting cups and putting one in another and she is counting, clear as day.  They do it over and over and she is thrilled.  She knows her abc's, songs and animal sounds and is constantly asking for more.  I always knew that she was smart but I guess I thought this was just normal. The other video shows Meagan and Brynna singing together and Brynna trying to upstage Meagan.  She had the ability to make you laugh at a very young age.  They have always been good to each other and have had a close bond but it was great to see in the videos.

After watching the video of Meagan at 14 months and seeing the tears this morning going back to school I realize what a tough road it can be to be so intellectually smart but not totally understand that you are different.   The conference in D.C. showed her that there are others in the world like her and she needed to finally see that with her own eyes.  Over the years I have tried to convince her of that fact but she didn't understand, she now sees it and I am so grateful and sad at the same time. I am sad for her struggles with being different but am so proud of who she is, a very bright young woman.  I guess that is part of being a mom and kids growing up, you have to stand back and watch.

At this point I am glad to have everyone home safe and sound.  It is good to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home